How to compare structures of two tables.
- Structure comparison of the two selected tables is being performed on the basis of the IDENTITY KEY.
- The IDENTITY KEY can be:
- Column name (by default)
In this case, the program automatically aligns the column lists of the compared tables so that the columns having the same name are lined up at the same level.
- Position of a column in a table or view.
In this case, the program automatically aligns column lists of the compared tables so that the columns having the same position are lined up at the same level.
- Column name (by default)
- The user can define structure comparison rules (e.g. case sensitivity, compare/not compare column names, compare/not compare column length, etc.) as well as rules regarding the creation of the comparison report (e.g. include identical rows, include different rows, and etc.).
The Comparison Procedure:
- Select the tables (views) intended for comparison from the left and right panels.
Figure 5: Tables/Views selection
- Use Compare > Table/View Structure menu command
The program will compare structures of the selected tables (views), displaying the results of the comparison on the screen in a separate window:
Figure 6:Comparison results window
The window is divided into three panes:
- The left pane shows a list of columns (and their properties) of the table selected on the left pane of the main application window.
- The right pane shows a list of columns (and their properties) of the table selected on the right pane of the main application window.
- The bottom pane refines the differences found between the columns of the selected columns pair.
Each line of the displayed grid represents a pair of the corresponding (i.e. having same value of IDENTITY KEY) columns of the compared tables.
- The lines representing two different columns are marked by red color.
- The lines representing two identical columns are marked by black color.
- The lines representing one column only - no corresponding column is found in the other table - are marked by blue color.
In order to generate comparison report file, select the Report comparison result into file mode using the appropriate button on the toolbar of the main application window:
If this button is used, the comparison results of ALL of the comparison procedures will be stored into a file.
Figure 7:An example of a comparison report
Setting comparison options
In order to alter the comparison settings of the tables (views) structures, use the Tools > Comparison Options... command of the main application window menu.
Switch to the Structure Comparison tab in the Comparison options dialog box and confirm or cancel the needed options for the comparison of the tables (views) structures.
Figure 7: Comparison options available